Overflow car park near Biggleswade railway station to close permanently this Sunday
- Credit: Archant
The Mountstar car park at the end of Station Road in Biggleswade is to close permanently this Sunday.
The site had long provided overflow parking space for commuters using the town’s railway station.
Biggleswade Town Council agreed a licence with Mountstar Metal to use the land in 2004, but in October last year Mountstar gave the council six months’ notice to terminate the lease and hand back the car park.
This Monday the town council confirmed that the site would close on Sunday, adding that users ‘will therefore need to find alternative arrangements’.
The closure was discussed by the town centre management committee of Biggleswade Town Council back in November, with Councillor Mark Foster then lamenting how it would exacerbate the town’s commuter parking shortage.
You may also want to watch:
And social media users reacting to Monday’s announcement took a similar line, with one calling the closure ‘another slap in the face’.
Another suggested that restricted street parking had not been extended enough, and that people living in and around Holme Crescent could soon see their roads filled with commuters’ cars.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal