Out Of Work Figures Hit A High
THE rate of unemployment has risen to its highest level since 2002, official figures have shown. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the unemployment rate was 5.2 per cent in the three months to March – the highest since November 2002. It came a
THE rate of unemployment has risen to its highest level since 2002, official figures have shown.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the unemployment rate was 5.2 per cent in the three months to March - the highest since November 2002.
It came as the number of people out of work hit 1.59 million between January and March, up 44,000 over the quarter and 177,000 over the 12-month period.
The number of people claiming unemployment benefit also continued to rise to its highest level for nearly three years.
You may also want to watch:
The ONS said the claimant count rose by 7,700 in April to 945,500.
It was the highest number of people on jobseeker's allowance since June 2003 and means that the number has risen for 13 of the last 14 months, the longest period of increases since the UK emerged from recession in 1992.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn