Out in force
ONE arrest, a fine for public disorder and three seizures of alcohol from underage drinkers were among the results of a special police operation last week. Officers from Letchworth GC, along with a passive drug detection dog, ticket collectors from First
ONE arrest, a fine for public disorder and three seizures of alcohol from underage drinkers were among the results of a special police operation last week.
Officers from Letchworth GC, along with a passive drug detection dog, ticket collectors from First Capital Connect and members of the court service spent an afternoon at Letchworth railway station.
Around 400 tickets were checked on passengers arriving and departing from the station, with 28 offenders dealt with.
Police spoke to members of the public known to them and anyone looking suspicious, and the court service checked for people with outstanding fines.
You may also want to watch:
Altogether 30 people were checked by police and three drug searches were carried out.
During the afternoon officers searched a train which had come from Royston, as they believed a burglar who had just committed an offence may have been on board.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Speaking to The Comet during Operation Graze, Sgt Mike Wood said: "We generally get quite a good response from people. It shows a presence on the railway service.
"For the general members of the public it's quite reassuring for them for terrorist reasons and for presence reassurance."
Operations happen about once a month at Letchworth station, and also take place at Stevenage and Hitchin stations.