Opposition mounts to plans for more Biggleswade homes
- Credit: Archant
People in Biggleswade are registering their opposition to the latest plans for more homes the town.
Developer Bellway Homes Ltd and Bloor Homes, has submitted a planning application for 248 homes on land to the north of Potton Road.
So far out of 30 residents who have taken part in the council’s online consultation, 28 have commented against the application.
It comes as the council is calling for sites to be offered up for possible development as it seeks to put together its latest draft Local Plan for development.
One of the people to oppose the plans is Biggleswade resident Simon Denchfield.
You may also want to watch:
He believes the council may have given an informal ‘green light’ for the site to be developed and has lobbied the town’s MP Alistair Burt to act against the application.
He told the Comet: “Over the last 12 months there has been intermittent pre-development survey work undertaken on these areas of land which seems to be far more than would normally be undertaken in the absence of any planning permission.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 9 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“The land is high grade agricultural land and is very poorly served by an already inadequate local road network. Biggleswade town centre, railway station and doctors are all about one mile away from the site, again with vehicle access only via an inadequate road network.
“It would appear that Central Bedfordshire is trying to get this application resolved with very limited opportunity for local Biggleswade residents to raise objections and concerns.”
A council spokesman denied these claims however, saying: “An application for land north of Potton Road in Biggleswade has been received and the proper planning application consultation process is underway, through which residents will able to have their say and any comments will be fully considered as part of the process.
“Our involvement only began once the planning application was submitted, so no decisions have been made yet.
“If any surveying works have taken place on the site this won’t have been done by us. However, it is completely commonplace for an applicant to carry out a raft of technical work prior to the submission of an application.”