One Love, One Hitchin – community set to come together for charity event
- Credit: Archant
The community of Hitchin is being celebrated on Saturday in light of this summer’s terrorist attacks in London and Manchester and the fire at Grenfell Tower.
People from the town are set to bring the community together tomorrow, Saturday, in a positive reaction to bad news events and to raise money for a valuable cause in our area, the Helping Hands Charity.
The event, which runs at Bancroft gardens from midday to 5pm, is being organised by Jackie Brown, Jackie Maclean, Samantha Bernard and Manjit Moore.
Mrs Brown explained to the Comet: “Everything has come together in a matter of a few weeks and without any external funding.
“We have managed to secure some funds through a crowd fund page set up by Jackie Maclean, and we will receive donations of cakes, prizes and other items and equipment from local businesses, schools, the Sikh temple, along with food and drinks vendors, and local musicians attending on the day.
You may also want to watch:
“Most importantly, a lot of people are giving us their time and getting into the spirit of this community event.
“A special mention for The Venue in Hitchin, they have given us a tremendous amount of support for the event.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
So how can you help? Organisers would like to raise a lot more money for Helping Hands.
As she says: “We want all of the community to come together – young, old, all cultures, all religions.
“This is about Hitchin.”
To donate visit https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/jackie-maclean-5.
To learn more visit their Facebook page One Love One Hitchin.