On track for worldwide adventure
A PAIR of intrepid pensioners are setting off on the trip of a lifetime to circumnavigate the globe in 35 days. Widower Mike Tointon, 65, and widow Vicky Peebles, 66, both from Stevenage, are heading off next week to travel round the world by train at our
A PAIR of intrepid pensioners are setting off on the trip of a lifetime to circumnavigate the globe in 35 days.
Widower Mike Tointon, 65, and widow Vicky Peebles, 66, both from Stevenage, are heading off next week to travel round the world by train at our latitude.
The trip will take them to Russia, Mongolia, China and Canada - no mean undertaking considering that before February this year, when he went to Paris, Mike had never left the UK.
Their adventure came about after Mike's daughter Lois died last year of pancreatic cancer, aged 36.
In her will she left her father some money to go away, and he decided upon this epic trip.
After putting together the outline of the adventure, he then decided he needed a companion and met Vicky after appealing on the internet.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 6 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 7 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 8 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 9 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
The pair will now head off together next Thursday.
Mike said: "We're obviously looking forward to it with great excitement because neither of us has been to these places. We have no idea what's going to happen."
Most of the trip will take place by train - including one long journey which will last five days non-stop - with two flights taking them from Beijing to Vancouver and then back to England from Canada.
They are hoping to get sponsorship for the trip, to raise funds for SCOPE and Stevenage Homestart.
So far they have collected around £240 for each charity by having a stall in Stevenage town centre.
If you would like to sponsor them, visit www.justgiving.com/vicky-mike-roundthe world