On the run
A GROUP of running Rotarians are hoping to raise £10,000 for a cancer charity by tackling the Milton Keynes half marathon. The team of 17, from Hitchin Tilehouse Rotary Club, will be attempting the run in July to raise funds for the Prostate Cancer Charit
A GROUP of running Rotarians are hoping to raise £10,000 for a cancer charity by tackling the Milton Keynes half marathon.
The team of 17, from Hitchin Tilehouse Rotary Club, will be attempting the run in July to raise funds for the Prostate Cancer Charity.
Tilehouse member Robin Hayhurst, who is the only team member to have run a half marathon before, came up with the idea to take part.
He said: "It was a good opportunity to raise money for the charity which we've been supporting for a couple of years.
You may also want to watch:
"Everybody decided it might be a good way to get fit."
Although the runners have limited experience between them, they have been determined to get in shape ready for July. They began training at Christmas, using Stevenage running track to get in some practice in the winter evenings, and running in Preston on Sundays.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 4 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 9 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Robin said that the runners, who range in age from their mid 30s to over 50, have already begun to reap the rewards of their training programme.
"Everybody's saying they feel a lot better for it. There have been some real success stories," he said.
For more information about the Rotarians' run, visit their website at http://www.tilehouserotary.org/MK