Off on the piste…
TWO intrepid ski enthusiasts flew out to France today (Thursday) to take on a gruelling challenge in the name of charity. Colin Wareham, 41, and Malcolm Berg, 45, co-owners of Aro Sports in Bancroft, Hitchin, are part of a group set to ski a million metre
TWO intrepid ski enthusiasts flew out to France today (Thursday) to take on a gruelling challenge in the name of charity.
Colin Wareham, 41, and Malcolm Berg, 45, co-owners of Aro Sports in Bancroft, Hitchin, are part of a group set to ski a million metres over three days.
The epic ski-athon is in aid of the British Heart Foundation and began today in Chamonix.
As part of a team of around 40 skiers, Coin and Malcolm will each attempt to cover a distance equivalent to twice the height of Mount Everest.
You may also want to watch:
Tomorrow they will head to Verbiers in Switzerland and on Saturday will finish the challenge in Courmayeur in Italy.
Speaking to The Comet just days before they set off, Colin admitted that as the event drew closer both skiers were "getting more and more nervous".
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
He said the logistics of skiing in three countries added to the complexity of the challenge.
"It's not just the skiing, we're travelling to each of the resorts each day and back again.
"If it was just in one place it would be challenging enough."
Although snow suitable for skiing might be in short supply in Hitchin, the pair have been hard at work preparing for their adventure.
Colin said: "We have been running and we've been skiing already this year. "To try to increase our skiing ability, both of us have done basic instructors' courses."
Between them, they have already raised hundreds of pounds for the British Heart Foundation, but are keen to attract more sponsorship.
To make a donation visit www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/colinwareham1