Nursery staff and families raise vital funds for Moggerhanger hospice
- Credit: Archant
The Toad of Toadhall paid a visit to Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice to present almost £1,000 raised by children, parents and staff of Toadhall Nursery in Colmworth.
The nursery hosted two big events – a Christmas Fayre and a Summer Fun Day – as a way to show their support to the 15-bed hospice in Moggerhanger.
Toadhall Nursery team leader Sophie Smith said: “Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice has been a very important place for so many people including staff and their families at the nursery and parents and their families also.
“The care provided at St John’s Hospice is vital for patients battling illnesses such as cancer and the staff are amazing at being so caring and positive through families’ toughest of times.”
Among a host of Christmas Fayre stalls was one containing gifts children had made through activities at the nursery, while many parents and local businesses donated towards the raffle.”
Fellow team leader Kim Grayson was delighted with the amount raised, which could pay for a bed for two days of inpatient care for a hospice patient.
“When we confirmed how much we had raised, we were over the moon to say the least,” she said.
- 1 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 2 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 3 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 7 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
“We were so overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone who attended our events and we are so grateful for everything the hospice does to provide care and support for the local families and wanted to say a big thank you for their continuous, fantastic work they do every day.”
St John’s, which cared for 600 patients in 2016-17, costs £9,000 a day to run and needs to raise £1.8million a year to continue to provide hospice care.
Tori Ablard, head of hospice fundraising, added: “A big thank you to all the children, parents and staff of Toadhall Nursery Colmworth with their efforts in supporting us and of course to Toad for his visit.
“It’s is great to hear that so much fun was had by all while fundraising.”
If you have been inspired to fundraise for St John’s visit www.sueryder.org/stjohns for further information.