Nostalgia: Our historic high street
45-51 High Street THIS large building extending back into Church Street was originally a private house. It was occupied by Charles Palmer Stevens, surgeon and general practitioner, from 1850-1876 followed by Owen Thomas, veterinary surgeon, and later hi
45-51 High Street
THIS large building extending back into Church Street was originally a private house.
It was occupied by Charles Palmer Stevens, surgeon and general practitioner, from 1850-1876 followed by Owen Thomas, veterinary surgeon, and later his widow Jane from 1892-1906.
The owner, James Pope, then sold the whole property.
You may also want to watch:
This included Jane Thomas's residence, John Moore's grocer shop and dwelling house plus stables, outbuildings, and a large malting.
The whole site was soon redeveloped, when John Moore's new shop was built in 1909 and Barclays Bank in 1911.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 9 'Black history should be celebrated every month, not just in October'
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
The bank, number 45, has been there now for 95 years.
Number 47 was the National Deposit Friendly Society offices until Eric Harradine came to Biggleswade in 1938 as the first dental surgeon in the town, retiring in 1984.
His surgery was on the first-floor. His skills were widely recognised and he regularly attended a London hospital for consultations.
At number 49, George White opened in 1910 as a high-class tailor.
The next year, he won the Grand Challenge Shield at the Tailor and Cutler Exhibition in London.
He made many army officers' uniforms during the Great War, and died in January 1918.
The Army took over the shop for Mrs White and two of their sons, Cecil and Reginald White, returned from the war to carry on the business as White Bros.
Ekins, Witherow and Handley, estate agents, had taken over by 1970, but later it changed to King and Ayres, now Satchells.
John Moore opened his new shop at number 51 in 1909 as one of the major grocers in Biggleswade, with a large warehouse behind in Church Street.
After he died in 1934, members of the family continued until 1952 when the premises were sold to multiple grocers Dudeney and Johnston Ltd.
The shop later became Civils wine shop, then Victoria Wine from 1982 until 2003. John Howorth moved there from number 17 in 2004.