Nostalgia: Long history of an ironmongers
There are four separate buildings in the block now occupied by Cancer Research UK, Snappy Snaps, Wilson Peacock Estate Agents and S H Harrold, Opticians. The last two have a long history dating back to 1781 when Charles Pryor was trading as an ironmonger
There are four separate buildings in the block now occupied by Cancer Research UK, Snappy Snaps, Wilson Peacock Estate Agents and S H Harrold, Opticians.
The last two have a long history dating back to 1781 when Charles Pryor was trading as an ironmonger there.
In 1812 the business passed to Joseph Lucas, then in 1816 to Thomas Hagger and Thomas Morton.
Subsequently in 1864, the business was Morton and Kinman, also operating the Vulcan Foundry.
You may also want to watch:
They sold every conceivable type of ironmongery and tools for market gardeners.
The foundry made a series of bridges for the Ivel Navigation in 1823; one still remains at Jordan's Mill.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
In 1855 Henry Dixon Fisher, from Lincolnshire, set up as an ironmonger in St Neots Market Square, followed by his brother Edward Dixon Fisher, who died in 1895.
Edward's two sons, Fred and Sidney ran the St Neots shop.
In 1904 they purchased Morton and Kinman's business with John Edward (Jack) Fisher, the third son, in charge.
By May 20 he had sold off all the old stock and the premises were altered, re-opening for business on September 12.
Jack Fisher married Miss Edith Newman of Cambridge in 1906.
Fisher's opened another ironmongers shop at 57 High Street, Sandy, trading from 1910 to 1926. It is now Gilby's of Sandy.
In 1912 they pulled down the Vulcan Foundry in Foundry Lane and built a new warehouse fronting Saffron Road.
Fisher's stocked almost anything one required, the staff were kept fit and agile as many items were stored in commodious cellars beneath the premises and under the Market Square that meant frequent visits up and down stairs.
Jack Fisher died in 1966 and his son Edward, who had been running the shop for some time, succeeded him.
The shop closed on December 9, 1978, two years after Edward Fisher died.
After the shop closed, Rostron Insurance Services took over.
They relocated to 57 High Street when Wilson Peacock Estate Agent moved in.
John Roberts Shoes occupied the smaller shop next door, followed by S. H. Harrold Ltd Opticians, who remain there today.