Nostalgia: Conversion gave street a new look
PUBLISHED: 11:52 08 June 2006 | UPDATED: 10:17 06 May 2010
Camden House Part 3 THE left hand section of Camden House, now 95 High Street, was converted into a separate dwelling known as The Holliers. It was first occupied by Frederick Hughes, curate, and later by Thomas Chapman, a corn merchant. Arthur J Hil
Camden House Part 3
THE left hand section of Camden House, now 95 High Street, was converted into a separate dwelling known as The Holliers.
It was first occupied by Frederick Hughes, curate, and later by Thomas Chapman, a corn merchant.
Arthur J Hills, who had joined Thomas Hooper at Brigham House as a solicitor, lived there for many years until his death in 1909.
E A Wilshaw, a veterinary surgeon, was the next occupant until 1911 when he moved to The Manor House, Shortmead Street.
William Skipp, a gardener and florist with greenhouses in Saffron Road, moved there in about 1935 and in the 1950s it became EE (Elsie) Skipp.
Janet Compton, who had worked in the shop as a florist, was the next owner. The business continues right up to the present day as Skipps Florist.
At 95a High Street Leslie and Roma Todd ran Roma's Toy Shop for 12 years. It was later operated by Derek Emerson, then as Toyland.
It is now Lucas Estate Agents.
Newsagent and stationer Parker Herbert was based at 97 High Street.
It was later Chopsticks takeaway and is now the Sunflower Chinese takeaway.
A Wakes, the Hitchin Street bakers, took 99 High Street as a second shop until the lease ran out in 1974.
Pyper Rosaleen, ladies' hairdresser, occupied 101 High Street, the shop on the corner of Crab Lane, in 1940.
It was later renamed Maison Rosaleen and remained open until 1957 when it became Auto Supplies.
It reverted back to a beauty salon in 1996 when The Retreat opened there.
Presently, with two shops combined into 99-101 and a recent refit, it is now The Salon.
The former classroom in Crab Lane became The Ivy Leaf Club for discharged soldiers and sailors, which was originally in Shortmead Street.
They moved to a building in the brewery yard in 1935.
The Working Men's Club took over the hall in 1937, moving to Church Street in 1968.
It then became the Labour Party hall.
In recent years the building was separated and nowadays it is divided into the Labour Club hall and The Pentecostal Church.