Norwich City were ‘different class on and off the pitch’ says Hitchin Town official as Canaries beat Canaries
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin Town official was full of praise for Norwich City Football Club as Top Field entertained two sets of fans of the yellow and green persuasion on Tuesday evening, which saw the Canaries beat the Canaries.
Hitchin Town of the Southern Premier League took on the newly promoted Premier League side with the same nickname, Norwich City, to celebrate their 150th anniversary.
Although Hitchin lost 10-0, the game saw a bumper attendance of 1,777, the kind-hearted club donated 60 per cent of their gate to charity – with half going to Children in Need, and the other half to Garden House Hospice in Letchworth.
Club secretary and stalwart Roy Izzard said: “Despite the result it was a great night. A big thank you must go to Norwich who were fantastic on and off the pitch, and their fans were great – I can’t speak highly enough of them.”
The game also saw the Premier League giants take the unique step of unveiling their new 2015/16 away kit at Top Field, as well giving new signing Youssouf Mulumbu a debut.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin Town play another pre-season game tonight at Top Field when they entertain Luton Town FC of League Two, kick off 7.45pm.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?