North Herts taxpayers won’t be footing bill for garden waste collections in East Herts, council confirms
- Credit: Archant
North Herts District Council has confirmed that residents paying a £40 ‘bin tax’ for collecting garden waste will not be subsidising similar collections in East Herts.
Concerns a joint subsidy might be the case arose following East Herts District Council’s vote against the proposed fee last night, with North Herts District Council having already decided it will introduce the annual charge.
The spokeswoman stated that although the new contract for waste disposal is a joint one with EHC, costs and services are specific to each of the authorities.
North Herts District Council carried out a public consultation at a cost of £5,031 in which 85 per cent of respondents objected to such charges, but its cabinet voted on Monday night to introduce them.
Both councils have however voted to introduce a weekly food waste collection service.
Cllr Michael Weeks, NHDC’s executive member for waste, recycling and environment said: “East Herts Council’s decision not to proceed with charging for garden waste collection does not affect the award of contracts.
“The contract documents were developed and published on the basis that both councils may either jointly or individually charge for garden waste collection.
- 1 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 2 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 3 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
“Charging for garden waste collection was one of several options. For example, another option was a kerb-side textiles recycling service for which North Herts Council has decided to continue to provide whereas this is not a service East Herts Council will provide.”