North Herts Road Runners set to pound the pavements of Letchworth for the first time in inaugural Run Round the Garden
- Credit: Archant
Runners in North Herts will have the chance to pound the pavement around the centre of Letchworth for the very first time in July as part of the inaugural Run Round the Garden event.
They will be on their marks on Sunday, July 10, when the programme will start with a 5km race at 9.30am. A one mile run will start an hour later, and at 11am there will be a fun run for the under-11s.
The course will see races starting on Leys Avenue, near The Arcade, with athletes then going down Eastcheap, counter-clockwise around Broadway Gardens and back again. The roads will be closed to traffic for the duration.
North Herts Road Runners is organising the running side of things – in partnership with the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, the Letchworth BID and North Herts District Council.
“This is the first time people have had the opportunity to do a run in the roads in the middle of Letchworth,” said running club chairman James Walsh.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got a great town centre, so why not use it? It’ll be a nice flat course so it should appeal to runners of all paces – from serious athletes to mums and dads coming down with their families.”
The 5km race is open to those aged 11 and up only, and costs £6. The mile race (£3) is open to all and the fun run for under-11s is free.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
Prizes will be given, along with mementos for all who finish.
Letchworth BID manager Tom Hardy said: “We’re going to have a stage with music, and businesses are coming to do massages and things.
“I’m confident that we’ll have 700 or 800 people in the run. We’re hoping to attract both experienced runners and families along.”
For more details or to enter online visit the website at runroundthegarden.org.uk.