Baldock and Hitchin eateries celebrate awards success
- Credit: Archant
Two North Herts eateries have won prestigious awards for providing customers in their town with the best food in the region.
Abbas Ahmed, chef and owner of Baldock’s Chilli Lounge, took home the Best Curry Chef in the East of England title, while J’s Grill in Hitchin was named the Best Takeaway in the South East.
The multi award-winning Chilli Lounge chef picked up his latest award at the Asian Curry Awards ceremony hosted by BBC broadcaster Babita Sharma at Grosvenor House in Mayfair on Sunday night.
Abbas said: “It sure was an amazing night! I am truly honoured to receive this award.
“Looking around I spotted many ex-colleagues as well as peers, and to walk away with this award was a big surprise.
You may also want to watch:
“When I started cooking, I really did not expect to reach these heights, but it just shows that perseverance pays off.
“A big thank you to everyone for their continued support.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“This award, I dedicate to you guys and of course the person that inspired me in the first place, my mum.”
Chilli Lounge was also runner up as the Best Curry Restaurant in the East of England.
J’s Grill in Hitchin won the award for Best Takeaway in the South East at the British Takeaway Awards last Monday at the Savoy.
Having only opened in January this year, staff at the takeaway are very proud of the achievement.
Dal Sidhu, who runs the grill, told the Comet: “When we actually won we couldn’t believe it.
“There was lots of glitz and glamour at the ceremony and it was great to spend the evening with like-minded people.
“It was such a great atmosphere sitting with other individuals who are excellent in their field.
“In only nine months we’ve managed to win Best Takeaway in the South East, which we feel is a massive achievement.”
The nominations for the award were determined by a public vote, and J’s Grill were decided as the overall winner after being marked on a mystery shop.
To celebrate and to say thank you to all customers and those who voted, J’s Grill is giving 15 per cent off to every customer all this week.
The British Takeaway Awards is run in association with Just East, celebrating small and family-run businesses.