North Herts District Council will not move to old Grammar School building
NORTH Hertfordshire District Council has decided not to proceed with a proposed move of the council s offices to the former old Grammar School building in Broadway, Letchworth GC. Instead, it will consider making smaller scale changes to its exist
NORTH Hertfordshire District Council has decided not to proceed with a proposed move of the council's offices to the former old Grammar School building in Broadway, Letchworth GC.
Instead, it will consider making smaller scale changes to its existing main building in Gernon Road.
Cllr Terry Hone, portfolio holder for finance and deputy leader of the council, explained: "This was a close decision but, over time, the balance of advantage has swung back in favour of staying in our present buildings.
"We have expanded the use of home and mobile working and this is steadily reducing the demand for desk space. We can also save space as we renew our IT hardware.
You may also want to watch:
"Also it became evident that we will not meet our environmental objectives in terms of CO2 emissions, as the old Grammar School building cannot be made sufficiently energy efficient.
"The effect of the economic downturn on the council's financial position and therefore value for money has also played a part in this decision.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
"These factors taken together mean that it now makes more sense to stay where we are.