North Hertfordshire College interest in Letchworth Town Hall
AN “ICONIC building” which has been standing empty for four years could be turned into an educational facility, The Comet has learned.
North Hertfordshire College (NHC) has revealed this week that it is interested in taking on Letchworth Town Hall.
The building, which is owned by North Hertfordshire District Council, was in use until 2007.
Members of the council were set to discuss the letting or disposal of the hall, built in 1935, at a Letchworth area committee meeting last night (Wednesday), although the item was later withdrawn from the agenda because “the report was submitted prematurely and further consultation is required before bringing it to the committee.”
NHC’s Goldsmith Centre for Business is situated a short walk away in Broadway, and principal Fintan Donohue said, due to its location, taking on the building is an attractive proposition.
“We’re expanding into new areas and we’re always looking for good locations near to our campuses,” said Mr Donohue.
“Letchworth Town Hall is next to the Goldsmith campus which is packed with students and staff so it would be fantastic to expand into it if we get an opportunity to.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
“It’s a real shame that an iconic building is standing empty so if we could use it for a positive outcome for the students we’d be delighted.”
Regarding interest in Letchworth Town Hall, a spokesman for the council said: “An organisation has approached North Herts District Council expressing interest in Letchworth Town Hall, however no formal proposal has been received.”