North Hertfordshire and Stevenage branch of Samaritans ‘busier than ever’
- Credit: Archant
The branch director of a national charity which helps those in need has said it has been “busier than ever” over the Christmas period.
The North Herts and Stevenage branch of the Samaritans, based in Nuns Close, Hitchin, has answered around 30,500 telephone calls, as well as responding to 1,600 text, 900 emails and meeting more than 100 people face-to-face from the start of the year up until November.
But branch director Leigh Grigson said December has been particular busy.
“Christmas is an extremely busy time for Samaritans and this year we have been busier than ever – so I would expect these numbers to increase quite a bit by the end of the year,” she said.
“Samaritans are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential support for those who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those that may lead to suicide.
You may also want to watch:
“However, you don’t have to be suicidal to contact us – sometimes by offering a place for people to talk through their feelings enables them to feel valued enough and can prevent suicidal feelings from arising. Therefore, please don’t suffer alone this Christmas – Samaritans are here to offer our support.”
If you need help you can call the branch on 01462 455333 or the national Samaritans number of 08457 909090. Alternatively email email@example.com or visit www.samaritans.org
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV