North East Beds MP Alistair Burt calls for urgent meeting after Bedfordshire Police’s damning HMIC report
- Credit: Archant
In the wake of Bedfordshire Police’s damning HMIC report on Thursday, North East Beds MP Alistair Burt has called for a meeting between the inspector, those responsible for the county’s policing and all Beds MPs.
Bedfordshire Police was branded the worst force in the country in a damning report released by national watchdog HMIC, and was the only force in the UK to receive an overall ‘inadequate’ rating.
Mr Burt said the inspector, the chief constable, the PCC and all the county’s MPs should meet as soon as possible to discuss the issues raised.
He said: “This report will be disappointing for a hard-working police force, and for the community that depends upon them.
“I remain grateful and supportive of officers who do a difficult job in our county. ‘Inadequate’ seems a harsh judgement when headline statistics show little difference with a number of national averages, and good performance in terms of recorded crime and victim satisfaction.
You may also want to watch:
“But there are also very worrying comments in the report, including the inspector’s view that the force has ‘little understanding of the communities it serves’, and is weak on its response to organised crime.
“It is noticeable that many of the weaknesses are linked by HMI to the poor resourcing of a force with unique characteristics of being largely rural, but dealing with significant national issues – not least terror and a major UK airport.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
“But there is also a sharp difference of view between the chief constable and the inspector about the quality of the force, and I believe it is in the public interest that we seek to resolve this.
“I am therefore calling for the inspector, the chief constable and the PCC to meet together as soon as possible with all Bedfordshire MPs.
“I am sure we will all share a common determination to ensure that Bedfordshire has justifiable confidence in our local police, as our communities deserve.”
You can read the HMIC report in full at justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmic/wp-content/uploads/peel-police-effectiveness-2016-bedfordshire.pdf.