Nominate your hero to become Olympic torchbearer
GIVE someone the chance to shine and nominate them for a stint as an Olympic torchbearer.
The Olympic Committee wants people to put forward potential torchbearers to carry the torch in 300m legs as it travels around the country.
Although there have been no details released as to whether it will pass through Comet country, North Herts can still carry the torch, potentially between Cambridge and Luton next July, as part of its 70 day journey.
The successful torchbearers must be aged 12 and over and have made a real difference to others.
They will also have been inspirational in their work for the local community or provided valuable support to others.
Typical nominees include sports coaches, teachers, charity workers and fundraisers.
North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC) is encouraging people to get involved to represent the area.
- 1 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 2 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 3 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 9 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 10 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
Cllr Ian Knighton, portfolio holder for leisure said: “This is an exciting time for North Herts and a once in a lifetime opportunity for nominees that are chosen to become torchbearers.
“Nominating someone is also a fantastic way to say thank you to them for their outstanding contributions to the local community.”
You will need to provide the nominee’s contact details and prepare a statement of no more than 150 words saying why they should be considered.
The closing date is June 29, 2011. Applicants can visit the website http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay/