Nominate your hero to become Olympic torchbearer
GIVE someone the chance to shine and nominate them for a stint as an Olympic torchbearer.
The Olympic Committee wants people to put forward potential torchbearers to carry the torch in 300m legs as it travels around the country.
Although there have been no details released as to whether it will pass through Comet country, North Herts can still carry the torch, potentially between Cambridge and Luton next July, as part of its 70 day journey.
The successful torchbearers must be aged 12 and over and have made a real difference to others.
They will also have been inspirational in their work for the local community or provided valuable support to others.
You may also want to watch:
Typical nominees include sports coaches, teachers, charity workers and fundraisers.
North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC) is encouraging people to get involved to represent the area.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 5 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Cllr Ian Knighton, portfolio holder for leisure said: “This is an exciting time for North Herts and a once in a lifetime opportunity for nominees that are chosen to become torchbearers.
“Nominating someone is also a fantastic way to say thank you to them for their outstanding contributions to the local community.”
You will need to provide the nominee’s contact details and prepare a statement of no more than 150 words saying why they should be considered.
The closing date is June 29, 2011. Applicants can visit the website http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay/