‘No-one should feel threatened’ – Mid Beds MP Nadine Dorries defends voting for Syrian air strikes after abusive messages on Twitter
- Credit: Archant
Mid Beds MP Nadine Dorries has received abusive messages in the aftermath of voting for Syrian air strikes in the House of Commons last night.
The Conservative – along with North East Herts MP Sir Oliver Heald, Hitchin MP Peter Lilley and North East Beds MP Alistair Burt – backed the air strikes, which targeted ISIS in Syria within hours of the motion being passed.
Ms Dorries retweeted a post this morning from Baroness Eggarton (@bedsboy) which read: “I’d like to remind my MP Nadine Dorries that she now has the blood of Syrian children on her hands.”
In response, Ms Dorries said: “The amount of abuse MPs have received over the past week, both online and physical, raises a number of serious questions regarding democracy.
“Easy access via social media to post threats and intimidate had an effect on some yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
“No-one should feel threatened in their work.”
About her decision to vote for the air strikes, Ms Dorries said: “My vote yesterday was based on evidence provided by the Justice Select Committee, MI5, the head of national security and was backed up by UN resolution.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“Political resolution in the region is also required and is a priority.
“Destroying IS headquarters and operational bases in Syria will make the streets of Britain safer.”