‘No-one needs to worry about their weddings’ – all safe after Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel fire between Hitchin and Stevenage

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel.

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel. - Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel this morning after a blaze in a chimney spread to a sitting room – but no-one was hurt, and the hotel’s managing director said no brides need worry about their weddings.

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel.

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel. - Credit: Archant

Two engines from Hitchin, one from Letchworth and Baldock station and another from Stevenage with an aerial lifting platform attended the blaze near Little Wymondley after being alerted at 9.52am.

All people are accounted for and at 10.30am the fire in the Old Kitchen, one of the sitting rooms, was reported to be out.

“It started as a chimney fire, sparked by a very flammable piece of firewood,” the hotel’s managing director Ben Gainsford told the Comet.

“We had some guests in the hotel, who were evacuated immediately.

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel.

Firefighters work to fight the blaze at the Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel. - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


“All of our automatic fire protection measures kicked in and went as they should. We confirmed that all staff and guests were accounted for, then we closed all the doors and called the fire brigade, who came within eight minutes.

“The fire brigade were brilliant. The fire was largely contained to the chimney and fireplace, but the firemen confirmed it was a significant fire, and that if there had been a delay it could have been quite bad.

Most Read

“There’s one room, the Old Kitchen, which has some quite significant smoke damage, but the fire doors contained it well and the other rooms are all OK.

“We’re aware we’ve got a few brides who are a bit concerned, but no-one needs to worry about their weddings!

“We will be closed for lunch today, but we’ll be open again tonight.”

The fire in the chimney was confirmed as out at 11.25am. Firefighters then damped down and carried out a safety inspection.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter