No January signings for Boro - Graham Westley
- Credit: Archant
Despite defensive difficulties, boss Graham Westley says he is not looking to sign more players during the January transfer window.
Stevenage have only kept four League Two clean sheets this season and the unorthodox back three of captain Ronnie Henry, Bira Dembele and Dean Wells in last Saturday’s Newport County displays a vulnerablility that needs attention.
Nevertheless, Westley is more focussed on steadying the ship than rocking the boat with new arrivals.
Westley said: “I am not looking for players at all. We are looking for stability.
“Stability is a massive thing in football. In recent years, it has been about players from the academy and bringing those players along.
You may also want to watch:
“They don’t need to play in constant fear. They need to know they are believed in and that their development is top of our priority list.
“We have a lot of good players but a lot of them we have not been able to get fit.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
“We know our issues but we have got plenty of quality here and I know this team can evolve into a decent team so we won’t be doing shopping because we haven’t got any money.
“We have spent all our money on the players we wanted earlier in the season so we are just focussed on getting this bunch right and ready for what lies ahead.”