No half measures in trophy stakes as Hitchin’s superb Half Moon wins pub of the year – again!
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin pub is celebrating after it was named the best pub in Hertfordshire – for the third time.
The Half Moon pub on Queen Street is the 2016 winner of the title of Camra Herts pub of the year – which it previously won in 2009 and 2010.
The pub, which dates back to 1748, holds beer festivals twice a year boasting more than 80 beers, ciders and perries. It has been named Camra North Herts pub of the Year five times – most recently in March this year.
Landlord Howard Phillips told the Comet: “We are absolutely delighted.
“It’s brilliant news. I have to say a big thank you to our wonderful staff and customers.
“I think the secret of a good pub is offering good beer, as well as having good staff and good customers.”
The pub will now battle against others in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire to find out what Camra considers the best pub in East Anglia. The result of that is due to be announced later in the summer.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Hertfordshire businesses honoured in Muddy Stilettos Awards 2022
Howard added modestly: “It’d be nice to win – but there are some great pubs out there.”
The Half Moon succeeds last year’s victors, Baldock’s Orange Tree, which won both North Herts and Herts Pub of the Year in 2015.