No half measures in trophy stakes as Hitchin’s superb Half Moon wins pub of the year – again!
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin pub is celebrating after it was named the best pub in Hertfordshire – for the third time.
The Half Moon pub on Queen Street is the 2016 winner of the title of Camra Herts pub of the year – which it previously won in 2009 and 2010.
The pub, which dates back to 1748, holds beer festivals twice a year boasting more than 80 beers, ciders and perries. It has been named Camra North Herts pub of the Year five times – most recently in March this year.
Landlord Howard Phillips told the Comet: “We are absolutely delighted.
“It’s brilliant news. I have to say a big thank you to our wonderful staff and customers.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the secret of a good pub is offering good beer, as well as having good staff and good customers.”
The pub will now battle against others in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire to find out what Camra considers the best pub in East Anglia. The result of that is due to be announced later in the summer.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
Howard added modestly: “It’d be nice to win – but there are some great pubs out there.”
The Half Moon succeeds last year’s victors, Baldock’s Orange Tree, which won both North Herts and Herts Pub of the Year in 2015.