‘No complaints’ about gun-toting Santa says Stevenage shop manager
- Credit: Archant
A shop which stocks replica weapons came under fire this week for dressing up a dummy as a gun-toting Father Christmas – but the boss says the Santa figure has been in the window for weeks without complaint.
Edward Leo, who runs Combat -UK in Broadwater Crescent, Stevenage, dressed up a spare female mannequin with a red and white trimmed suit, black sunglasses and replica gun and placed it in the window several weeks ago.
Mr Leo said: “At no time have we had a member of the public or customers raising any concerns regarding our Santa.
“At Combat-UK we embrace Christmas and Santa in his many forms.”
Rita Brian of Bragbury End told the Comet she did not find the joke funny. The 65-year-old said: “The shop has always grated on me, but this Santa in the window is totally inappropriate. I know there is a school nearby and children have to walk past the shop every day.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no problem with army surplus goods, it is just the weapons.”
Michael Wilson, who works in the shop, added: “It’s been up for a while now and no one has said anything.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
“There is nothing behind it, we just had a spare mannequin and we hadn’t done anything else for Christmas. No one’s complained to us but maybe it’s because of the guns – although they are all fakes.”