‘No complaints’ about gun-toting Santa says Stevenage shop manager
- Credit: Archant
A shop which stocks replica weapons came under fire this week for dressing up a dummy as a gun-toting Father Christmas – but the boss says the Santa figure has been in the window for weeks without complaint.
Edward Leo, who runs Combat -UK in Broadwater Crescent, Stevenage, dressed up a spare female mannequin with a red and white trimmed suit, black sunglasses and replica gun and placed it in the window several weeks ago.
Mr Leo said: “At no time have we had a member of the public or customers raising any concerns regarding our Santa.
“At Combat-UK we embrace Christmas and Santa in his many forms.”
Rita Brian of Bragbury End told the Comet she did not find the joke funny. The 65-year-old said: “The shop has always grated on me, but this Santa in the window is totally inappropriate. I know there is a school nearby and children have to walk past the shop every day.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no problem with army surplus goods, it is just the weapons.”
Michael Wilson, who works in the shop, added: “It’s been up for a while now and no one has said anything.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
“There is nothing behind it, we just had a spare mannequin and we hadn’t done anything else for Christmas. No one’s complained to us but maybe it’s because of the guns – although they are all fakes.”