Nine goal Boro through to Senior Cup semi finals
Herts Senior Cup Quarter Final Stevenage Borough 9 Oxhey Jets 0 BORO moved into the semi finals of the Herts Senior Cup with a comprehensive 9-0 win over Spartan South Midlands Premier side Oxhey Jets. Boro, the holders of the cup, put out a strong side t
Herts Senior Cup Quarter Final
Stevenage Borough 9 Oxhey Jets 0
BORO moved into the semi finals of the Herts Senior Cup with a comprehensive 9-0 win over Spartan South Midlands Premier side Oxhey Jets.
Boro, the holders of the cup, put out a strong side that included Tim Sills, Lee Boylan and Charlie Griffin and the trio made the most of the run-out all getting on the scoresheet, with Griffin helping himself to five.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the strong side and convincing scoreline, it was the visitors who went close to breaking the deadlock when Lee Armitt latched on to Luke Beardsworth's pass only to fire wide.
Beardsworth then called Ashley Bayes into action, forcing the Boro stopper to tip his header over the bar.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
From this point Boro took over and opened the scoring in the 35th minute when Yemi Odubade cut inside and curled home a delightful shot.
Sills doubled Boro's lead four minutes later firing low past Jets' goalkeeper Sam Styles.
Boro added a third before the break from the penalty spot after Styles had hauled down Griffin. Boylan stepped up and drove the ball ferociously past the Jets goalkeeper.
The second half was less than 60 seconds old when Griffin got his first goal of the night, netting after Peter Vincenti had headed Odubade's free kick back across goal.
Vincenti, keen not to miss out on the goal fest, added the fifth volleying home Odubade's cross and two minutes later they got a sixth.
Mark Albrighton floated a free kick into the box and when Styles couldn't hold Vincenti's effort Griffin was on hand to score.
Griffin completed his hat trick in the 77th minute, firing low past Styles from the edge of the box.
A close range header from a Boylan cross gave Griffin his fourth of the night and Boro's leading scorer wrapped up proceedings again heading home a Boylan cross.
Boro will now travel to Bishop's Stortford in the semi-final with the game due to take place on Tuesday, March 2.
Boro: Bayes (Rayner, 71), Birri (Varnavas 88), Albrighton, Maamria, Elakahassi, Vincenti, Griffin, Odhiambo, Boylan, Sills, Odubade (Ulor 74).