Nine countries in nine days: Hitchin teachers’ world record bid
TWO teachers from a Hitchin school have set off on an attempt to break a world record of cycling through nine different countries in as many days, in memory of a former student who sadly died from leukaemia.
Matthew Good and Chris Pope, teachers at Priory School, are completing the gruelling ride with friends to raise funds for CHILDREN with LEUKAEMIA.
The quartet, who left Hitchin on Friday, are hoping to raise around �5,000, in memory of former student Tasnim Kalam.
The gruelling 584 mile course, which will see the group pedalling through countries including Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, means the team will have to cycle around 80 miles a day.
“If we complete the ride, then we will break the existing record,” said head of Year 11 Mr Good, before setting off.
You may also want to watch:
“We chose this particular cause as it is close to the hearts of us all and to the school community. The event will be in memory of Tasnim, who was a brave and wonderful person.”
The group set off from Italy on Saturday and are due to finish their ride in The Netherlands next week. They have so far been lucky with mostly sunny weather, completing just over 85 miles on their first day.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 9 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
A target has been set to raise �5,000, and the team have already secured some sponsorship from local businesses.
To support the group, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/9countries9days