Nine countries in nine days: Hitchin teachers’ world record bid
TWO teachers from a Hitchin school have set off on an attempt to break a world record of cycling through nine different countries in as many days, in memory of a former student who sadly died from leukaemia.
Matthew Good and Chris Pope, teachers at Priory School, are completing the gruelling ride with friends to raise funds for CHILDREN with LEUKAEMIA.
The quartet, who left Hitchin on Friday, are hoping to raise around �5,000, in memory of former student Tasnim Kalam.
The gruelling 584 mile course, which will see the group pedalling through countries including Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, means the team will have to cycle around 80 miles a day.
“If we complete the ride, then we will break the existing record,” said head of Year 11 Mr Good, before setting off.
You may also want to watch:
“We chose this particular cause as it is close to the hearts of us all and to the school community. The event will be in memory of Tasnim, who was a brave and wonderful person.”
The group set off from Italy on Saturday and are due to finish their ride in The Netherlands next week. They have so far been lucky with mostly sunny weather, completing just over 85 miles on their first day.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
A target has been set to raise �5,000, and the team have already secured some sponsorship from local businesses.
To support the group, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/9countries9days