Nick Robinson in Letchworth for BBC News feature
ONE of television’s most prolific political correspondents was filming in Letchworth GC over the weekend.
The BBC’s Nick Robinson was in the town for an upcoming piece about the impending government spending cuts.
He said: “We have just been to a picnic on The Grange and before that we went to a car boot sale.
“There were all the wonderful things you expect at a car boot sale, like Mrs Thatcher’s biography for a pound.
“I saw some toys I was quite tempted to buy but I didn’t have time, but the guy quite interestingly said there’s been more trade there.
“One of the reasons we have come here is that we want to compare views in different parts of the country on government spending cuts.
“In Gateshead one in three people have public sector jobs but in Letchworth it’s much lower.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 4 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 7 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 8 Stevenage fun day in aid of TRACKS Autism
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Hertfordshire businesses honoured in Muddy Stilettos Awards 2022
“We have asked a lot of different questions and here in Letchworth we have put a collection box.
“What’s interesting is everyone talks about a group that shouldn’t get benefits.”
Mr Robinson was filming at the Baldock Town Letchworth F.C’s game on Saturday.
The match was at the County Ground, Baldock Road, and the piece will be shown on the 6pm national news and the News at Ten on BBC1, Wednesday.
Mr Robinson travelled down the A1(M) from Gateshead for the show and stopped at a number of towns to gauge public opinion on the upcoming spending cuts.