Letchworth man prosecuted after fly-tipping
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth man has to pay more than £700 in costs after radiators, a metal bed frame and seven bags of household waste were fly-tipped in the town.
Alan Boyd appeared before Stevenage magistrates on Friday and pleaded guilty to failing to dispose of waste appropriately.
He paid two men £10 to dispose of the objects and did not check if they had a licence, or obtain a receipt.
The bags were then illegally fly-tipped in the Green Lane, where Boyd lives.
Following an invesitgation by North Herts District Council, the rubbish was traced back to him and he was given a conditional discharge and order to pay the council’s costs of £735.61, along with a victim surcharge of £20.
You may also want to watch:
NHDC’s executive member for housing and environmental health Councillor Bernard Lovewell said: “NHDC’s community safety team works tirelessly to prosecute fly-tippers in North Herts.
“This case highlights the importance of householders checking that a waste carrier has a licence to dispose of waste before handing their waste over.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
“If they are unlicenced and fly-tip your waste, you will be held legally responsible and the council will take action against you.”
To check if a waste carrier has an Environment Agency waste carrier licence, to go environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/search-waste-carriers-brokers
To find out more about reporting fly-tipping or what do if you witness fly-tipping go to north-herts.gov.uk/home/transport-and-streets/street-cleaning/fly-tipping.