NHDC votes to progress with Hitchin’s Churchgate revamp
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
The decision has been taken by North Herts District Council to continue with their proposals for the Hitchin Churchgate regeneration.
During a full council meeting in Letchworth last night, councillors unanimously voted to support cabinet proposals.
NHDC plans to refurbish the shopping centre in partnership with the Shearer Property Group.
The proposals were to continue to support the principle of a regeneration of the Churchgate Shopping Centre and Hitchin Market, noting that the “deliverability of proposals were dependant on securing funding from the Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership”.
It was also agreed to progress with negotiations of legal agreements and the transfer of £130,000 from the Special Reserve fund to proceed with further work required prior to a final decision on the regeneration.
Councillor Martin Stears-Handscomb proposed a further recommendation to be voted in full council – which was amended by Councillor Sam Collins – to consult with interested parties including the residents group Churchgate Resurgence PB, who were in attendance.
This recommendation was voted through by the council, with 21 councillors voting for it and 19 against.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 8 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage
- 9 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash