NHDC awards grants to communities across North Herts
- Credit: Archant
Community buildings across North Herts have been awarded funds by NHDC totalling £117,000, to help secure their long term futures.
The Hitchin Sea Cadets have been granted £35,000 for their building in Bedford Road.
The base is currently functional, but needs roof repairs, replacement toilets, new double glazed windows and more energy efficient heating system.
Currently 30 young people take part in cadet meetings and parades on Tuesday and Friday evenings.
In Royston, the Coombes Community Centre has been awarded £50,000 from the council which will fund a platform lift, kitchen and toilet refurbishments, kitchen flooring in the playgroup area, LED lighting and water saving features.
You may also want to watch:
The building provides a space for a variety of groups to meet, including over 60s groups and playgroups.
Letchworth’s Centre for Healthy Living will enjoy a £42,245 grant which will be put towards the cost of a replacement boiler, double glazed windows and insulation to improve the thermal efficiency.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
The centre provides 6,000 courses and counselling sessions each year.
Finally, Weston Cricket Club will use its £50,000 award to dismantle and rebuild the existing extension to the thatched pavilion.
The new extension, which will feature a kitchen and toilet facilities will be built in its place.
The grounds at the club are used by approximately 1,000 people each year, including Weston, Stevenage and Baldock cricket clubs.
NHDC’s community facilities capital grant funding scheme panel met in May and recommended the groups in Hitchin, Royston, Letchworth and Weston for their needed repairs works.
Chairman of the panel Councillor Simon Harwood said: “We are very pleased to award funding to help extend the lives of these vital community buildings.
“They provide a place for North Hertfordshire residents to meet, make friends, learn new skills, improve their health and have fun.
“There are all things that make a real difference to people’s lives and we look forward to seeing these building improvements take shape in the near future.”
To find out more about the community facilities capital grant funding scheme, go to north-herts.gov.uk/home/community/grants/community-facilities-capital-projects-fund .