New threat to Green Belt made concrete
A NEW threat to North Herts Green Belt is now official after the district council received a planning application for 1,000 homes on countryside east of Luton. Developers Bloor Homes are seeking permission from North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC
A NEW threat to North Herts Green Belt is now official after the district council received a planning application for 1,000 homes on countryside east of Luton.
Developers Bloor Homes are seeking permission from North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC) to build on land to the east and south east of Mangrove Green and Cockernhoe and west of Tea Green and Wandon End.
As well as housing, the proposed development includes a shopping centre and a primary school.
The plans follow an earlier scheme for 5,500 homes in the wider area by the same developers as part of Luton and Central Beds councillors' attempt to meet their housing targets by building across the border. The new scheme is independent of these councils.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Brindley, NHDC portfolio holder for planning, said, "This council is on record objecting to the Luton and Central Beds Core Strategy which seeks to allocate large scale development east of Luton. However our duty now is to consider this particular proposal on its merits, taking into account our relevant planning policies."
A meeting of the Luton and Central Beds joint planning committee which was due to sit on Friday to consider its plans for 5,500 homes in the area has been cancelled due to a "lack of business".
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed