New Scout group launched in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
With the largest ever number of Scouts in Hertfordshire recorded this year, the 6th Hitchin Scout Group officially opened its doors this week to help with the growing demand for Scouting in Hitchin.
The 6th Hitchin Scout Group, formed to help meet growing demand in the town, will meet at The Priory School every Tuesday during term time.
The new members have helped contribute to the highest numbers of scouts in the county to ever be recorded – currently just short of 17,000.
The 6th Hitchin Scout Group will start by offering young people aged eight to 10 an opportunity to join the cub pack, but there are plans to open up a beaver colony and a scout troop which will start as soon as enough volunteers have been found.
Members will have the chance to try outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and water-based sports.
You may also want to watch:
The new group has been backed by The Priory School’s headteacher Geraint Edwards, who has offered them general support and use of the school’s facilities.
Mr Edwards said: “The ethos that scouting provides young people complements The Priory School’s vision of physical, emotional and academic progress for all. As a community school, we want to be pro-active in supporting the young people of Hitchin to experience a wider range of opportunities which scouting provides.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
For more information about joining Hitchin Scouts or becoming a volunteer, visit www.hitchinscouts.org