New manager for new-look town centre
BALDOCK has appointed its first town centre manager just as work on the enhancement scheme draws to a close. Nigel Cooke, who ran the Baldock and General Insurance Service company for over 20 years, aims to be holding extra events to try and encourage mor
BALDOCK has appointed its first town centre manager just as work on the enhancement scheme draws to a close.
Nigel Cooke, who ran the Baldock and General Insurance Service company for over 20 years, aims to be holding extra events to try and encourage more people into the town.
Mr Cooke, 49, who lives in Stotfold, also aims to keep everyone up to date with what is going on in the town.
"We will promote the town and the retailers any way we can," said Mr Cooke.
"We have got some good shops and I want the businesses, the residents and the public to know what is going on.
"I think there is great potential. The town is open for business, the work is coming to an end and it is looking really good. It will be a new improved Baldock and we are looking to build on its strengths."
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 7 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
Mr Cooke added: "I've got connections in the town and I know lots of people.
"Baldock has never done anything collectively and now it needs to promote itself."
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, North Herts District Council's (NHDC) portfolio holder for community engagement, said: "It is extremely good news for Baldock that Nigel has taken up the post as town centre manager.
"I know he will be working with the businesses and residents to make the most of the opportunities that now present themselves in Baldock with the newly refurbished town centre."
Mr Cooke will be based at the Coach House in The Cloisters off Hitchin Street and will be working part-time for Baldock Town Centre Partnership which is funded by NHDC. He can be contacted on 07792 574175.