New cop on the street
CRACKING down on crime is all in a day s work for the new sergeant at Baldock and Letchworth GC. Sgt Stephen Oliphant is taking to the streets in his new role within the community team. He said: For the last nine months or so I have worked predominantly
CRACKING down on crime is all in a day's work for the new sergeant at Baldock and Letchworth GC.
Sgt Stephen Oliphant is taking to the streets in his new role within the community team.
He said: "For the last nine months or so I have worked predominantly within custody at Stevenage, so I am hoping that my new role will allow me the time to be out and about helping to deal with issues facing various communities.
"I am joining an experienced community team and aim to complement this with proactive operations and targeting our persistent offenders.
You may also want to watch:
"The approach between Letchworth and Baldock will only be different if there are specific issues that need a different approach."
Sgt Oliphant joined Herts Constabulary in 2001, having served 10-and-a-half years with West Midlands Police. He worked in North Herts from 2001 to 2004, when he moved to Stevenage.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
When questioned about the issues he will be getting to grips with the sergeant said: "At present the main issue in Baldock relates to anti-social behaviour and the associated crime, in particular criminal damage.
"Both Baldock and Letchworth teams have been working closely, together with other agencies, to help address the issues.
"There has been some success and work is still continuing to help solve the issue in the long term.
"Pc Steve Gibbs' Baldock community team is using various methods to help deal with the issues and any new information can be passed to him."
He added: "One of Letchworth's main issues which we are looking at is the theft of various property, copper in particular, from the industrial areas.
"Pc Mandy Dickerson and PCSO Lisa Garrity are looking at expanding Business Watch on the industrial estates to increase awareness of our local businesses.
"Any companies that wish to join and/or have information can contact Pc Dickerson or PCSO Garrity at Letchworth Police Station.