New appeal over monstrous invasion of privacy’
OPPONENTS of a housing development will be out in force again when a government inspector listens to the latest round in a long-running planning battle. Property developer Angelo Baccarella is appealing agaist a decision by Mid Beds District Council, whic
OPPONENTS of a housing development will be out in force again when a government inspector listens to the latest round in a long-running planning battle.
Property developer Angelo Baccarella is appealing agaist a decision by Mid Beds District Council, which last year threw out revised plans to demolish his home and build flats.
The appeal will be heard at the district council offices in London Road, Biggleswade, next Tuesday starting at 10am.
The inspector will hear of the long running saga by Mr Baccarella to demolish Milestones, in Dunton Lane, Biggleswade, and build flats on the site which has a large garden.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Baccarella has said in the past that flats in the three-storey block were for single people and first-time buyers.
But local residents in Primose Close and Jasmine Close have always been vehemently against the planned development saying the extra traffic from those living in the flats would increase noise and pollution and loss of privacy for those living nearby.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
At the first appeal last July after the council had rejected the original planning application for 15 flats in May 2004, Penny Gilbert, one of the campaigners against the development, said: "We feel the size and bulk of this proposal is an overbearing monstrosity that will cause a severe loss of daylight to the whole of Primrose Close and many of the houses in Jasmine Close.
But the hearing also heard from Mr Baccarella's representative, Simon James, who said: "The street scene is enhanced by this scheme. We need a building that is going to stand out. I don't see anything untoward in the scale."
HM inspector Jean Jones disagreed, saying in her final assessment that the building, which would be constructed after the demolition of Milestones, would be "completely out of character with its surroundings".
A new inspector will hear next week's appeal against a watered down version of the original plans, this time for 12 flats in a smaller building that was also rejected by the council.
"We must continue our fight to make sure this development is not allowed to go ahead," said Mrs Gilbert.
"Everyone is absolutely against these flats. One application has already been thrown out, even on appeal and we hope the same happens again at the second appeal on the revised plans which have already been rejected by the council.
"This development would be a monstrous invasion of our privacy and destroy the wonderful gardens of a large house."
Attempts to get a comment from Mr Baccarella about his appeal proved impossible.