National League play-off final: Former Boro quartet aiming for a place back in Football League
- Credit: Archant
Four former Stevenage players will be hoping to make it back into the Football League today as their side, Forest Green Rovers, take on Grimsby Town in the National League play-off final.
Brett Williams, Steve Arnold, Sam Wedgbury and Rob Sinclair have all featured for Rovers this term in a season that saw the Gloucestershire-based side finish second in the league table and get past Dover Athletic in the play-off semi-finals.
Williams re-joined Rovers following an unsuccessful spell at Stevenage earlier in the season. He was signed by Boro last summer but failed to make an impact under Teddy Sheringham and left the club in January.
Goalkeeper Arnold has now been with The Green for the past two seasons after leaving Boro in June 2014, just a month after Wedgbury also joined the club.
Sinclair has also been with the side for two years. After leaving Stevenage in 2013 he had a spell at a Salisbury City before moving on to Forest Green.
Green will be managed by Mark Cooper next season, after the former Peterborough United and Swindon Town boss left Notts County following the end of the season.
Today’s final takes place at Wembley from 4pm.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown