Mystery donor’s £5,000 gift to Knebworth grandfather after 147-mile swimming challenge
- Credit: Archant
A mystery donor has helped a grandfather top the £60,000 mark after a 147-mile swimming challenge to raise funds for charity.
Andy Nation attempted the epic swim in the summer of 2013 – a year after he had intended to do it due to breaking his neck in training.
The effort saw him complete all but 11 miles of the challenge, which he started at Teddington Lock in Middlesex but had to abandon on his last leg from Dover to Calais due to the sea conditions.
More than a year and a half on, the 65-year-old from Knebworth is still raising funds for the Herts Air Ambulance and the Hertfordshire MS Therapy Centre in Letchworth, and has received an anonymous donation of £5,000.
The money was passed on with a message which said: “There are those that can, there are those that can’t, there are those that do, there are those that don’t, then there is Andy Nation. Wow, what else can one say?”
You may also want to watch:
Andy is currently editing entries for his book, People of Our Time, which includes messages from the rich and famous and will be auctioned off to raise further funds.
He said: “I would like to say a very special thank you to my mystery donor. It would be great to get into six figures, so if you have a few pounds to spare or would like to make an enduring memorial to a loved one via the book please contact me via www.teddingtontocalais2012.org.uk.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round