Musicians’ tribute to the World Cup
TWO very different songs have been recorded by Comet county artists to celebrate the festival of football.
Hitchin funk-soul singer Thabani Nyoni has released a World Cup single in aid of World Vision, a charity dedicated to overcoming poverty and injustice worldwide.
The Zimbabwean-born artist, who is playing Glastonbury and WOMAD this summer, has already had his track 2010 used to accompany BBC Newsround’s coverage of the World Cup.
He said: “The World Cup will be taking place ‘just down the road’ from where I was brought up as a boy and I wanted to write a song to celebrate this important moment in African history.
“Seeing as the competition is held in South Africa I wanted to do a football song with a twist, using traditional African instruments and musicians to incorporate the spirit of Africa in the track.”
You may also want to watch:
To download the track, follow the link at www.myspace.com/thabani
The England Glory Boys are a group of old friends from Stevenage, Hitchin and Welwyn who have banded together to record England We Love You to the tune of The Ronnettes’ Baby I Love You.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
Drummer Chris Punter said: “There have been so many football singles that have been recorded using other tracks – I always thought that would be a good one.
“All the lads that have played on it have been in different bands and it just gave us the chance to get together and also get behind the team - not that it’s doing us a lot of good!”
To hear the single and also B-side Champions! Sounds Good To Me!! go to www.myspace.com/englandgloryboys