Musician rides into Stevenage for homecoming gig
A MUSICIAN from Comet country who has been touring the UK with a band who shared a stage with The Beatles will play a homecoming gig next week.
Len Crawley, of Wilbury Road in Letchworth GC, was asked to join 60s beat group The Barron Knights five years ago and, after performing around the world, will find himself in the familiar surroundings of Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre on Thursday evening.
The 67-year-old was invited by close friend and original band member Pete Langford to play keyboard for the group, who have toured with both The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, after he retired from his job as an engineer.
Speaking to The Comet, Mr Crawley said: “I started out in Stevenage bands and worked with Pete in ‘64 with a pub band, so it’s gone round in circles.
“I’ve known Pete for over 40 years and he asked me to the join the band about five years ago - I thought it was a good opportunity to get back in the music business.”
You may also want to watch:
The keyboardist’s homecoming coincides with The Barron Knights’ 50th anniversary tour, so the watching audience can expect performances of all their hits, as well as songs that have formed the soundtrack to the band’s lives.
He added: “The band has had great reviews and there will be a good few rock ‘n’ roll numbers on the night.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 10 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
Taking to the stage at 7.45pm, tickets cost �17.
To book contact the Lytton Way theatre’s box office on 01438 894650 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk