Mums launch support group for parents with babies in special care at Lister in Stevenage
TWO mothers are setting up a support group for parents with babies in special care at Lister Hospital in Stevenage. Lisa Cogan, of Bedford Road in Letchworth GC, and Camilla Hamilton, of Spring Road in Letchworth GC, both had children in Lister s special
TWO mothers are setting up a support group for parents with babies in special care at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
Lisa Cogan, of Bedford Road in Letchworth GC, and Camilla Hamilton, of Spring Road in Letchworth GC, both had children in Lister's special care baby unit (SCBU) last year.
Lisa's son, Jack, had breathing difficulties, and Camilla's son, George, was born 10 weeks prematurely.
"There wasn't anyone who could tell us what might happen," Lisa explained. "There used to be a support group for parents with special care babies but it closed. We want to offer support to other parents."
Lisa and Camilla are holding two launch meetings for people who may be interested in joining the group.
Lisa said: "It is an opportunity to come along to meet others and talk about what you'd like from a group. We are thinking of holding meetings monthly, but it depends on what people say they want. We want to gauge people's opinions.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 3 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 7 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
"We also hope the group can start to fundraise for equipment needed in the unit. They are trying to buy an �80,000 scanner."
The group is being launched with the support of the outreach nurses who work in the SCBU at Lister, Lisa explained.
The first meeting, which parents are welcome to attend with their children, will be held between 2pm and 4pm on Monday, August 24 at Bridge Road Children's Centre in Stevenage. The second, that is open to adults only, is to be held at Springfield House Community Centre on the High Street in Stevenage, from 8pm until 10pm on Thursday, September 3.
If you are interested in attending, call Camilla on 01462 482799 or 07771578522, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org