Mum and young baby escape Potton house fire after being woken up by smoke alarm
- Credit: Archant
A mother and young baby escaped a house fire in Potton today after a smoke alarm woke them up.
Almost two thirds of the ground floor was damaged by the fire, but both mum and baby escaped from the house in Byards Green without injury.
The mum had been asleep upstairs with her baby when she heard the smoke alarm – set off by a fire which had started in a cupboard under the stairs.
After making it outside with her child, the mum called the fire service at 9.35am. A Beds crew from Potton was on the scene within six minutes.
A crew from Gamlingay, Cambridgshire, also helped to tackle the blaze – which was declared out by 11am.
You may also want to watch:
The Red Cross also attended to provide assistance to the family.
Station commander Lorraine Moore from the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This incident shows the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your home. Without the smoke alarm she may not have known there was a fire developing downstairs and been able to escape from the property so quickly.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 7 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 8 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“I’d urge anyone who does not have working smoke alarms in their property to install them to help protect themselves and their family. If you have smoke alarms, don’t forget to test them regularly.”
The incident was closed at 11.12am and a fire investigation is under way.