Multi-million pound project to refurbish North Herts District Council’s Letchworth offices revealed
- Credit: Archant
A £3.45 million project to refurbish North Herts District Council’s offices in Letchworth has been put forward.
The scheme – which has been in the offing for more than three years – would give the Gernon Road buildings a facelift with improvements made to the walls, windows and entrances.
The developers believe the project will allow the council to remain in Letchworth – as oppose to building new offices – while potentially incorporating another organisation to bunk in with them and seeing energy efficient measures introduced.
Councillor Terry Hone, executive member for finance and IT at the district council, said: “In 2012 we reviewed a number of accommodation options and decided that purchasing the council offices and carrying out necessary refurbishments would provide the best value for money in the long term.
“With a budget of £3.45m, the project will involve creating a more flexible workspace and a more energy efficient building.
You may also want to watch:
“We are also exploring the potential to share office space with other organisations, whether that be commercial tenants or community organisations.
“By keeping a town centre presence it also means we can continue to provide a convenient service for residents.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
A consultation period where people can have their say on the council’s plans will run until Thursday, August 20. The application can be inspected at the Gernon Road offices between 9am and 4.30pm from Monday to Friday, or alternatively viewed at www.north-herts.gov.uk/planning.