Multi-million pound maternity ward christened
A NEW �16.4m maternity department was christened last week with the first baby born in its walls described as the “best Christmas present” by a proud parent.
Married couple Karen and Mark McCann, who recently moved to Arlesey, became the first couple to benefit from Lister Hospital’s new unit, when their daughter, Keira, was delivered last Wednesday, weighing 7.4 pounds.
Mrs McCann, who has already had one child, three-year-old Luke, with her husband, was in the old facilities on Tuesday when the clock struck midnight , signalling the opening of the new maternity unit, named The Ovum, staff then moved her to the new building.
The 29-year-old, who was in labour for nearly 24 hours, said: “Well obviously I wasn’t quite with it but it did look very nice from what I remember.
“I had to go to one of the wards in the building and then I went to the new one and the rooms are much bigger, cleaner and brighter.”
The couple, who met while working on the same Metropolitan Police team, also praised the staff for their work in helping deliver Keira.
Mr McCann said: “The ward itself was absolutely amazing, there were a few teething problems- like staff not knowing where things were- but the midwives were amazing.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
“I think the unit will have a positive impact to the area, a building is just a building but the staff inside make it.
“The facilities are brilliant and the staff are fantastic, it’s an awesome place that’s going to serve the community well.
“Keira is the best Christmas present any dad can ask for, I don’t care if I don’t have anything under the Christmas Tree.”