MS sufferer left out in the cold’
A MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS sufferer was left with faulty heating for nearly two weeks during some of the coldest weather so far this year. Bernie O Sullivan, 38, who lives in a Stevenage Homes property in Kestrel Close, has suffered from the most serious form o
A MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS sufferer was left with faulty heating for nearly two weeks during some of the coldest weather so far this year.
Bernie O'Sullivan, 38, who lives in a Stevenage Homes property in Kestrel Close, has suffered from the most serious form of MS since 2001.
With his condition it is essential that a constant temperature is maintained in his house, as if it drops below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, he goes into spasms.
But problems with his heating starting on December 8 meant that he felt he had no choice but to turn off his noisy, malfunctioning boiler.
From then until December 21 the only heating he had came from two electric heaters supplied by Stevenage Homes' contractor Pargas, one of which was faulty and poured out smoke when he turned it on.
This was eventually replaced with another electric heater, but Mr O'Sullivan maintains that these were "totally inadequate" for his needs.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
- 10 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
Because Pargas kept needing to order new parts for the central heating, it took 13 days for it to be fully repaired.
Mr O'Sullivan is convinced that he doesn't get adequate help from Stevenage Homes, which this year took over housing management from Stevenage Borough Council, since he criticised the council in a story in The Comet five years ago.
He said: "When you open my file at Stevenage Borough Council the very first thing you see is the article and the photo of me.
"Ever since I've been in the paper the council do nothing for me. If they do do something they do it reluctantly."
A Stevenage Homes spokesman said: "The repairs to the heating system required several new parts and several visits from our contractors, Pargas.
"The heating system was very noisy, which is why Mr O'Sullivan had turned it off.
"Pargas supplied Mr O'Sullivan with electric heaters, including an extra one when he told them that one heater was faulty.
"We will be visiting him again soon to check that everything is now working properly.