MP teams up with Angela Rippon in support of Carers Week
AN MP in Comet country has teamed up with a TV presenter in support of Carers Week, which launched today (Monday).
North East Herts MP Oliver Heald joined with Angela Rippon at the House of Commons to pay tribute to carers and to urge that they receive more support in their caring roles.
He said: “Thousands of people locally sacrifice not only their time, but also their money and their health in order to care for a loved one. Together they save this country an astonishing �119 billion. They deserve to be recognised for their contribution to both our local community and to wider society.
“I am taking part in Carers Week to show my respect and appreciation for our carers. I also want to let them know that there are services out there to help them. Caring can be so incredibly demanding. It’s important that carers know that they don’t have to struggle on alone.”
Angela Rippon, who has personal experience of being a carer, added: “It’s a strain that people accept willingly and lovingly, and if they’re prepared to do that, I think that as a civilised nation we should be prepared to do something in return.”
You may also want to watch:
Carers Week, which takes place from today until Sunday, is organised by a partnership of nine national charities - Age UK, Carers UK, Counsel & Care, Crossroads Care, Dementia UK, Macmillan Cancer Support, MS Society, Parkinson’s UK, and The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.
For an in-depth feature on carers pick up this week’s The Comet, out on Thursday.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
For more information about events and activities taking place during the week visit www.carersweek.org