MP questions Government over college U-turn
An MP has slammed the Government for leading North Herts College up the garden path after it had to tear up plans for improvements. North East Herts MP Oliver Heald yesterday (Monday) questioned the Government s handling of a funding scheme which left
An MP has slammed the Government for leading North Herts College "up the garden path" after it had to tear up plans for improvements.
North East Herts MP Oliver Heald yesterday (Monday) questioned the Government's handling of a funding scheme which left North Herts College out of pocket after it had to ditch a project to improve its Hitchin campus.
The college was encouraged to apply for funding from the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) but after spending thousands on designs was told the money had dried up.
In a debate in the Commons with the innovation, university and skills minister, John Denham the Conservative MP said: "The LSC has said that the Hitchin campus cannot go ahead with the building project it has been encouraged to put up. The honourable gentleman tells us about cuts, but goodness gracious this Government has cut back hard. My constituents really use the facilities, and we need the building programme to go ahead.
You may also want to watch:
"I have arranged a meeting with the minister to take up this issue and was glad to have an opportunity to raise my concerns in the House. What has happened is quite wrong. North Herts College has been led up the garden path.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Defibrillators: How you could save a life