MP Burt asks questions in the House about unemployment in his constituency
AN MP has asked questions in the House of Commons about the 100 per cent rise in unemployment in his constituency. Alistair Burt, MP for North East Bedfordshire, raised his concerns about unemployment with a question to Employment Minister Jim Knight. Mr
AN MP has asked questions in the House of Commons about the 100 per cent rise in unemployment in his constituency.
Alistair Burt, MP for North East Bedfordshire, raised his concerns about unemployment with a question to Employment Minister Jim Knight.
Mr Burt said he was concerned over the 100 per cent increase in unemployment in North East Bedfordshire over the last year, and the 80 per cent rise since 1997.
Mr Burt said: "I asked the minister what figure the Government was working on as a possible peak in unemployment, and was surprised to learn that the Government did not make such forecasts, though I can understand why he was reluctant.
You may also want to watch:
"More and more of my advice and surgery cases involve the hardship caused by unemployment and I am keen to work with debt agencies, and employment agencies and others to see where help can be given.
"With no good news yet in terms of the longest recession since modern records began, further efforts are going to be needed, and I will be pressing for the adoption of a national loan guarantee scheme as one way of increasing the cash flow to small businesses from banks as this is one way to help move things forward for jobs and trade.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome