Moustache madness in Comet country
THE spirits of Salvador Dali, Groucho Marx and Fu Manchu were alive in Comet country last month as moustaches sprouted from charity fundraisers.
Officers from Stevenage Police Station cultivated facial hair as part of Movember, which challenges men to grow a moustache throughout November and raises money for The Prostate Cancer Charity.
Pc Andy Spencer, who organised their effort, said: “Movember is a great and fun way for us to help raise funds and awareness for such a fantastic cause as most, if not all, of us have been touched by cancer in one form or another in the past, myself included, having lost my father to cancer 14 years ago.
“The ‘Mo’ will unfortunately be coming off on December 1. Although I quite like it, my wife has given strict instructions for it to be removed, even threatening to remove it when I’m asleep.”
The team raised over �1,400 but there is still time to donate via http://uk.movember.com/mospace/294318.
You may also want to watch:
However it wasn’t just our boys in blue who dodged a razor with a small team of technical staff from IET, in Stevenage, taking up the challenge.
The team raised over �400 and were led by Lee Redmond in their fundraising efforts.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
He said: “I have a history of prostate cancer in my family so I wanted to do my bit. It did not take a lot of persuading to get a few of my colleagues to take up the challenge.”
Movember was founded in 2004 in Australia and has grown into a global movement raising cash for charity.